Thursday, March 12, 2009

National Portrait Gallery



'Martin Sharp' (c 1986)

By Gary Shead
(image from www.Portrait.gov.au)


I was originally drawn to this picture because of its surreal, carnival like feel about it. unfortunately in this image you cant see that 'Mickey Mouse' like character bottom right has a 3D hand that comes out over the frame.  After reading about Martin turns out this feel was rather fitting.  Martin was not only a cartoonist, But Head designer and artist of Sydneys refurbished Luna Park, also a well respected australian Pop-artist. I really like this oil on canvas, its vibrant and creates a good picture in my head of this mans character.



'Michael Klim' (c. 1999)

By Anderson & Low
(www.portrait.gov.au)


I really thought this was a beautiful Photograph, using symmetry, shadow and Black n White to build this image of strength and power... along with the 'hero-like' stance he is in.  Michael Klim won Gold for australia in several world championships and Some gold for australia in two Olympic games along with some world records. Power and strength is a fitting way to portray this Australian swim legend.

No comments:

Post a Comment